Ever wonder why EVERYONE at the gym seems to have their headphones in during their workout? Or why a group fitness instructor’s playlists are just so good that you’re motivated to keep going back to their class? Well it turns out there’s some scientific reasoning behind the benefits of listening to music while we exercise:
- Disassociation – This is basically just a fancy way of saying that music distracts you from the pain! You know the feeling, when your lungs are burning, your muscles are aching and the fatigue is starting to set in. Listening to music, particularly music with a fast pace or complex beat, gives your brain something else to focus on so you can push through. According to a study by The Guardian, this can boost your performance by up to 15%!
- The Rhythm Response – When listening to music during exercise, our brains tell our bodies to try and synchronise our breath and movement to the beat. When we move in time with the music, as opposed to allowing a sporadic rhythm during our reps, we save energy, meaning that we can train harder for longer.
- MOTIVATION! – Let’s be honest, there’s nothing better than a great jam to get you in the zone, and using this as a way to motivate you to train hard and train regularly is actually really smart.
We’ve gathered up a few of our favourite Spotify playlists for you to help you power through your next workout:
- For cardio – https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWZq91oLsHZvy
- For Strength training – https://open.spotify.com/playlist/613fepCUPDGfVEaxnhP2L2
- For yoga – https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3uhl1yMQouau1v2HhMdldp
See you at the studio!