A question we get so often from newcomers to the studio is ‘what exactly is aerial yoga?’ This is usually closely followed by ‘we have to hang upside down?’
The answer is yes, in aerial yoga we do spend a portion of time each class hanging upside-down from the ceiling. It can be a little scary at first, and it will definitely push your out of your comfort zone. But we promise you, there are SO MANY benefits to inverting your body. You’ll fall in love in no time, trust us.
To get you inspired, here are a few of the main reasons you should hang upside-down on the regular:
- Reversal of blood flow – why is this important? Reversing the blood flow in our bodies has so many positive side effects. It improves circulation, flushes the face with fresh, oxygenated blood (yay for anti-aging!) and improves blood flow to the brain for increased cognitive function
- Increased cognitive function means – improved concentration and memory!
- Calms the nervous system – inversions help to switch off our sympathetic nervous system and instead, activate our parasympathetic nervous system. This means shifting from our flight-or-flight response into a space of relaxation and tranquility.
- Boosts immunity – Hanging upside-down allows lymph to travel more easily to our respiratory system and clear out toxins. This way, we beat the cold before it arrives!
- Decompresses your spine – While your upside-down, your spine has the chance to lengthen. This means easing tension and pain in the back and relieving pressure from the spinal cord and hips.
- And lastly, it’s fun! – Being upside-down is the perfect way to bring out your inner child.
And really, what better reason than that?
See you at the studio!