So you’ve set a fitness goal as one of your New Year’s resolutions, go you!
Now it’s time to make that resolution a reality. But here’s the tricky part: how do you make a resolution STICK?
Here’s a list of tips and tricks to help you crush your fitness dreams in 2019:
- Write it down – did you know that writing down your goals increases your likelihood of achieving them by approximately 42%? Jotting down your fitness resolution in your planner or writing it on a sticky note for your bathroom mirror may just be the boost you need to help you stay on track
- Ease in – we know, we know. It’s so tempting to dive into the first weeks of 2019 at breakneck speed, eager to start implementing all those positive changes you have planned for the year. But this puts us a risk of burning out, and quick. Our suggestion? Start small. Give yourself time to build up your reps, sets and workouts each week. Slow and steady wins the race!
- Track your progress – It can be easy to get bored, uninspired and even a little disheartened when working towards a fitness goal, especially a long-term one. Tracking your progress is a great way to re-motivate you when you’re struggling, because you can look back and remind yourself of all the steps you’ve already made. It’s important to stay passionate and inspired about your goal; it makes achieving it that much easier
- Grab a fitness buddy – There’s power in numbers! Sometimes having someone to encourage you and sweat with you is just what you need to make sure that you’re not skipping your scheduled workouts or putting in a half-hearted effort. Not only is it great to get a pep-talk from your exercise buddy every now and then, but it makes the work much more fun
- Ask for help – If you’re struggling for any reason, sometimes the best thing to do to keep you on track is to ask for help. Ask your yoga teacher, pilates instructor or PT when you need a hand, chances are they’ll be more than happy to help!