You’ve probably heard that we’ve recently started stocking kombucha at Empowered from the legends over at Swan Valley Kombucha! We’re in love, but we know some of you have some questions. Like what exactly IS kombucha? And why is it so good for you?
Here’s the lowdown on our new favourite post-class pick me up:
Kombucha is a fermented tea that is thought to have originated in Japan or China thousands of years ago. It is traditionally made from black or green tea, certain bacteria strains, yeast and sugar. We know bacteria in a drink sounds a little strange, but those good bacteria are a big part of the reason why kombucha has so many kick-ass health benefits.
These are some of the good things that kombucha does for your body:
- Probiotics – one of the biggest reasons people drink kombucha is because of the high amounts of probiotic bacteria that are produced during fermentation. Probiotics support optimal gut health and digestion
- Acetic acid – kombucha also produces high levels of acetic acid during fermentation. Acetic acid suppresses the growth of harmful bacteria and yeasts.
- Detox – The gluconic acid present in kombucha helps to bind toxins and expel them from the body, as well as supporting the liver in the detoxification process
- Lowers risk of heart disease – Kombucha made from green tea holds the same LDL (“bad” cholesterol) lowering properties, over time reducing the overall risk of heart disease, potentially by up to approximately 30%
- B vitamins – the presence of B1, B6 and B12 in kombucha make it effective in stabilising mood, boosting energy and even improving concentration
You can grab a bottle from Empowered reception for $6!