Ah, Winter. Cute jumpers, hot chocolate, falling asleep in bed listening to the rain. It’s so easy in Winter to get cosy and never move from your couch/bed/armchair for a whole three months. And while binge-watching 2 whole seasons of your favourite Netflix show in one week is impressive, it’s important to keep your body as active as your wifi during these colder months. Regular exercise will not only warm you up from the inside out, but it also gives your immune system the boost it needs during cold and flu season.
Now, we hate to be the bearer of bad news, but early morning exercise really is the way to wake up and warm up your body in preparation for these chilly Winter days. Yes, we know it’s dark, cold, rainy, etc etc, and getting out of bed seems like a feat for an Olympic gold medallist, so we’ve compiled a few tips to help you get out of your pyjamas and into your activewear.
- Out of Arm’s Reach – Rather than sneaking a hand out from under the covers to press snooze and falling straight back to sleep, try putting your phone/alarm clock on the other side of your bedroom. This means you actually have to get out of bed to turn it off, and that’s half the battle!
- Get Organised – Pack your bag/make your lunch/lay out your activewear the night before. If you’re not a morning person, this will be a lifesaver. Preparing yourself in the evening means that you can roll out of bed and get out the door with minimal effort.
- Drink Up – Start warming up your body before you start your workout by making yourself a cup of hot tea/coffee/chai. Switch on the kettle/coffeemaker while you get ready, and if you’re running late, take a thermos with you! Tip: honey generates heat in the body, so consider making yourself some hot water with honey, lemon and fresh ginger.
- Take a Shower – Not only will a hot shower warm up you up, but the warm water stimulates blood circulation through the body, making you feel more alert.
- Dance it Out – Well you don’t HAVE to dance, but putting on an energising playlist is the perfect pick-me-up when you need a little extra motivation to get moving. We recommend this Spotify playlist to perk up your morning routine.
See you at the studio bright and early!